Monday, December 29, 2008

Diets that (don't) work

So I was reading the CNN main page headlines, which I like to do so I can at least pretend I am keeping up with world news. And since CNN mixes fun stuff in there, it's also hilarious. So today I saw this link to "The top 10 healthiest diets in America", and naturally I get excited thinking that they could possibly talk about raw veganism or something equally awesome.
Well, here's the list:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/12/29/healthiest.diets/index.html
They pick 10 weird diets, whatever, Weight Watchers is the only one I've heard of, and they list the various fallbacks of the 10 diets. The amazing part? No kind of vegan diet made the cut, and the only vegetarian diet on the list is described as "just too hard to sustain".
REALLY?
Vegetarian diets, which are credited with lowering the risk of colon and prostate cancer, heart attacks, high cholesterol and blood pressure, and stroke, are well worth any difficulty. And at least in my case, the difficulty that one might have in maintaining it only serves to boost my self-esteem, give me another reason to change the world, and add some deeper meaning to my daily routine.
I'm coming out of the vegan closet: it's easy, and I feel great in every way. Take THAT, top 10 american diets.

2 comments:

Pablo said...

damn that's cold cnn

Pablo said...

on the other hand, would you really consider vegetarianism/veganism a diet?
i mean a diet as they're using it is to lose weight, but that's not the overt reason most people are vegetarian.
i mean it's true that more information should be out there to get people to consider veganism a healthier choice but it won't in of itself make you lose weight